Sunday, May 4, 2008

Shifting Through Memories

At the beginning of last week, my mom came to visit. My mom and dad were down for the weekend to celebrate their anniversary. It was last minute. They stayed at their favorite hotel in Salt Lake City, Little America. They went shopping and seemed to have lots of fun together. Then on Monday they came to our house. We were just rolling out of bed because both Spencer and I couldn't sleep the night before. Then we went to the BYU bookstore and got my dad a sweatshirt that he liked. Then we took my dad to the airport and he took a shuttle back home. My mom had planned to spend the next few days helping me sort through my belongings.

We spent two and a half days sorting through all of my books, papers, clothes, and stuff. We threw out about half of everything that we went through. This was very difficult for me. I am a hoarder. I like to keep everything because I am super sentimental. I probably have never really thrown things away before. It's pretty pathetic. But we did really good. I think that I got rid of a whole garbage bin full of things. Some of it we threw away. Some of it we took to DI. It was kind of amazing. The whole thing was really emotional for me. It was like a mid-life crisis or something. It felt like I was looking back on my whole life and deciding what was valuable and what was not. It wasn't even sad to part with the stuff, really. But it was like having a flood of memories, both good and bad. And that whole feeling was overwhelming. On top of this, I was growing up in a lot of ways. I was realizing how foolish I have been. How complicated I have made my life and that it doesn't need to be that way. I was realizing what I really want in life and what was really important. It was seriously like a big turning point in my life. You know those moments? The ones when you just know that you will never be the same. It's like you step out of your life for a moment and you just know that your whole perspective is about to grow. Those truly enlightening and defining moments that make you who you are and who you are about to become. It was pretty intense. And my poor mom and my poor husband had to deal with it all.

I was also overcome with a terrible homesickness. It was the worse case that I have ever had. I just really want to go home and live near my parents and sisters and in-laws and nieces and nephews. I want to spend time with them and do fun activities and get-togethers. I want to go to Palisades Lake and go boating and just be with my family. Hopefully someday we can go home and live near our family.

In spite of all of this, I am really excited to move and to start this new chapter in our lives. I know that this is the right thing and I'm sure that the time will just fly by. I am really grateful that we are able to have all of these wonderful opportunities. It will be an adventure for me and my sweetheart.

I am really grateful to my mom for taking the time to help me do this. I'm sure that it was anything but fun for her. And she is so sweet and wonderful to help me out. It was really nice to have her there. And it is great to have her support in what we are doing. Thank you mom, for everything. Thank you for being patient with me and all of my emotions. And for being patient about all of my crap. You really helped me out so much. I'll never forget it. I wish I could be up there to wish you a Happy Mother's Day next week. I love you mom. Thank you for all that you do and all that you have done for me. You are a wonderful mom. I hope you have Happy Mother's Day next Sunday.

Here is a picture of the computer room after our few days of work. You can actually see the floor!!

5 comments:

Jenny said...

i'm a packrat, too. it's really hard to throw things away, because like you said, it's like throwing a memory away. which ones do you want to keep??? so hard. good luck w/ the move. i'll miss you guys, but know you'll have an amazing experience. so have fun, and then move back to utah.:)

Nat said...

I used to be somewhat of a packrat, but then one day I realized I didn't have to hold on to the thing to hold on to the memory. Now if I still want a visual, I take a picture of that item and scrapbook it. I still have a few things, but they're the things that are most important to me.

Beej said...

Yeah, I have done the thing where you take a picture of the item. But it is actual papers and small items that I could easily scrapbook that I hold on to. Also things that I want my kids to have.

Kar said...

Wow, the computer room looks fantastic!! You guys did well! Your time in Buffalo will fly. I guarantee it. Did I just spell Buffalo right? Does it have two l's? Buffallo. No, that looks weird...

Anonymous said...

It was my pleasure to help you and spend that time with you. I'm sure I'll be coming down again to help you pack before the move. I have seen you grow. It's hard but good.