Friday, June 8, 2012

How to Save a Life


The other day I had the unique opportunity to watch Brianna in action working for Mercy Flight.  Bri watches me work during games and open practices, but until the other day I had never really seen firsthand what Brianna actually does when she’s working.

 
It took place on Memorial Day while I was at home relaxing after our most recent baseball excursion to Boston (blog post forthcoming).  I received a text message from Brianna saying that she was going on a call.  She then said that they would be landing at Green Lake Park...  right behind our house!

So I grabbed the camera and ran over to the park.  When I arrived at the park I immediately saw large green cones spread across the field creating a landing zone.  There was an ambulance and several paramedics standing watch while a crowd of people gathered to witness the events.

A faint rumble in the distant became louder and louder…  until…

Brianna’s helicopter arrived at the scene of the accident!

Brianna then emerged from the helicopter dawning her fabulous orange jumper. 

 She quickly grabbed her fashionable red bag and proceeded to the ambulance to check on the patient.

Before reaching the ambulance Bri removed her helmet and subsequently tossed her flowing hair from her face ala Justin Bieber.

After assessing the patient, Brianna returned to the helicopter to make preparations for the flight back to the hospital.  The paramedics proceeded to carry the patient to the back of the helicopter where Brianna assisted them in placing him securely in the aircraft. 

They then promptly took off for the hospital, launching dirt from the baseball field high in the air.  Minutes later they would land at the hospital where the patient received the necessary medical attention.

My hero…  (sigh)….

3 comments:

Kar said...

Love the Biebs reference. :) She's my hero, too. Though how her teeny frame can lift these heavy patients on gurneys is beyond me...

Mindy H. said...

Awesome! Brianna really is a super-hero! I am so glad you finally got to see her in action. Are you sure the hair action was a Bieber-esque toss and not more of a Charlie's Angels sultry shake? Not that I don't trust your vast knowlege of all things hair-related, or anything. Either way, I'm sure Brianna was the most angelic angel of mercy ever seen.

Jenny said...

Brianna is amazing. It's so neat that you got to see her work. Hope everyone is okay!