Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Watch Out Buffalo, Here We Come

So after months of deliberating about what to do and where to go....we finally decided. We are moving to Buffalo, New York in May or June.


Spencer got a position working for the NFL Buffalo Bills. It is a good offer. He also got an offer from the San Francisco 49ers, but they didn't offer as good of a position. So we went with Buffalo. We are both really excited. This is a dream come true for Spencer.

Here is the stadium.




The main reason that we chose Buffalo is because everything seemed to fall into place there. Actually, the funny thing is that in February I gave Spencer a list of cities and schools where both of our programs were offered. I told him to look it over because we probably needed to apply to more schools to increase our options. He said back then that he felt good about Buffalo for some reason. After that, he found out that his program was really good in Buffalo. And I found out that my program was really good. Then he found out that there was this job opening with the Bills, and he applied. When all of those things ended up working out, the choice seemed obvious.




Spencer is planning to attend Canisius for graduate school this fall. He will be working towards a Master's Degree in Athletic/Sports Administration. He may also get his MBA, we haven't decided on that yet. The program that Spencer will be enrolled in includes classes for an MBA, so it wouldn't take him much longer to finish that degree as well. This would also be useful to him in his career.

The Canisius mascot is a griffin. His name is Petey. I think that he looks funny and not very ferocious.







Here is some information about Canisius.


Canisius College is one of 28 Jesuit colleges in the nation and is consistently ranked among the top regional colleges in the Northeast.

Founded in 1870 by German Jesuits, Canisius College is named for St. Peter Canisius, a renowned Dutch educator and one of the original members of the Society of Jesus. What began in a single building in downtown Buffalo now consists of 65 buildings located on 40 acres in a residential neighborhood in North-Central Buffalo.

Mission:
Canisius College is proud to share in the Jesuit heritage, which offers students a highly personalized education solidly based in the liberal arts that emphasizes the development of the whole person. Canisius prepares leaders – intelligent, caring, faithful individuals – able to pursue and promote excellence in their professions, their communities and their service to humanity.

Enrollment:
Undergraduate – 3,591 Full-time – 3,310, Part-time – 281
Graduate – 1,388 Full-time – 691, Part-time – 697
Total number of students – 4,979
42 percent male 58 percent female
35 states represented
22 foreign countries represented

Canisius ranked 25th in the US News and World Report 2005 rankings of Best Universities-Master’s North. The jump of eight positions, from 33 to 25, is the largest jump by any school in the tier.

Here are some pictures of the campus.




I am planning to attend the University at Buffalo, which is a State University of New York (SUNY) college. I will be going to get my masters in nurse anesthesia (CRNA). I probably won't start until next year, but I am still excited. Our mascot is a bull named Victor E. Bull (victory bull, ha ha). He looks ferocious.



And here is a picture of campus. I am really excited to live there in the autumn. I have always wanted to be back east when all of the deciduous trees change colors.

We want to thank everyone for your patience and support while we have been making this difficult decision. Sorry we kept you all waiting so long. We are really going to miss everyone and we hope that in our last few months here we will be able to spend quality time with our family and friends. We also hope that the distance between us won't change how close we are. We love you all and hopefully we can stay in touch and visit often.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

hurray! i'm so excited for you guys! make sure to post lots of pictures on your blog so we can live through you. :)

Nat said...

YAY for Buffalo! I already told you my one dorky joke about buffalo... I've heard it's gorgeous in the fall back east, too. I LOVE when the leaves change to reds and oranges.

Anonymous said...

I know you can't wait to shuffle off to Buffalo. Also, I can't wait to shuffle off to Buffalo and see the sights and of course you guys. This is a new and exciting chapter!

Ash said...

Yay! sounds exciting! you are going to make BANK! and yay to be getting away from shock/trauma-no? I've witnessed quite a bit of blattant rudness to you, and I'm glad you get a fresh start.

Beej said...

Thanks Ash. I really appreciate your support. And it makes me feel good to know that I am not just paranoid, and that you can see that people are rude to me. It is reassuring to know that I am not just imagining it. Although, it has been better since certain individuals have left. wink, wink.

I am really going to miss you, Ash. I have really grown fond of you and enjoy working with you. It will be sad to leave some of my friends there, especially the techs and clerks. I have been closest to them. This is probably because we are closer in age. Also, as a nurse we work more with the techs and clerks than we do with the other nurses. Plus, you know how our unit is...the nurses aren't very nice to each other.

Well, maybe we can stay friends via blog...

Kar said...

I seriously think this is the coolest news I've ever heard. What an opportunity for Spencer. And look at those gorgeous old buildings! If we ever strike it rich, we will come visit, too. I'm sad you'll be so far away, but we'll always be close.

Anonymous said...

That is so exciting for you. Yet another adventure! Good luck back east. What is spencer going to be doing for the Buffalo Bills? Guess I am out of the loop on that one ;)