This year Halloween was pretty boring. Last year I got to carve pumpkins with my nephews. This year, no pumpkins at all. No nephews in costumes. No parties. And not a single trick-or-treater came to our door. Maybe they heard how mean we are...?
Or perhaps the problem was because we were gone between the prime time of 6:30 and 7:30. Or maybe it's because we don't have many children in our neighborhood. I don't know. But we have tons of leftover candy, which doesn't leave Spencer or I with many complaints. We get the good candy, like Reeses and Snickers.
We were invited to a party, but we were both working and couldn't make it.
This year, Spencer was a tired student/football intern. The kind that falls asleep standing up.
Or sitting down.
Or while having a conversation with his wife.
This year, I was a tired nurse. The kind that falls asleep standing, or sitting, or having a conversation. Even falls asleep at work once in a while...
I was especially tired this year because of benedryl. Yep. Benedryl.

So I wake up on Halloween with an allergic reaction. I'm super itchy and my lips are swollen. I have no idea what caused the allergic reaction. I contemplate calling in sick to work and decide not to. I can work while I itch, right?? And my airway wasn't swelling. Besides, if it got really bad, I was already at a hospital. What better place to be when you need to be intubated? So I go to work. And I'm going crazy itching. So I take benedryl. Well, you know what comes next. Oh man! Did I become groggy. The good thing is that my patients were not very sick, and there was extra staff because one of the people there was on orientation. Perfect! So my manager comes in to see how I am doing. They almost sent me home, but I didn't have a car or a ride. So she let me go into the empty room and take a nap in the recliner. Oh, I love the cardiac recliners. And I passed out! I have never fallen asleep that deep at work before. Even when I was working night shift. I woke up and then kept working in between my naps. I actually managed to take good care of my patients in spite of being half awake. Don't worry, I had my charge nurse helping me take care of them and making sure I did a good job. Have I mentioned how much I love my job and my manager and my co-workers? Here is just another reason. So that is why I was the tired nurse for Halloween.

3 comments:
Hey, this year I went as a frazzled mom! :) (Well, the night of our ward's Halloween party I went as Yellow Brick Road, but Halloween day it was the frazzled mom.) Your doggies are way cute!
Your doggies are the prettiest, sweetest, friendliest doggies in the world. Seriously. Sorry your Halloween was less than stellar. Benadryl sucks. But sometimes is absolutely necessary. I can't believe how wonderful your coworkers are right now. I wonder what caused your allergic reaction??
we missed you guys on halloween!
Post a Comment