When we moved to Western New York, we noticed that people were more interested in the Sabres than in the Bills. People here just LOVE hockey. They think that it is the greatest thing ever. They seriously go crazy for it. At one of our favorite restaurants, Duff's, they even have an alarm like they have at the hockey games for when the Sabres make a goal.
This kind of peaked our interest. One of Spencer's friends, Mark (aka Big Sweaty), is obsessed with the Sabres. He was so excited to find out that Spencer had never been to a professional hockey game. He has season tickets and so he told Spencer that he wanted to be the one to take him to his first hockey game. He talked about it like it was this wonderful, and magical experience.
So, in November Spencer attended his first hockey game. It was the Buffalo Sabres vs. the Atlanta Thrashers. It really was something magical. Spencer was hooked. Since then he has fallen in love with the sport. He loves to watch it. And he has gone to a few games since then.
And finally, in December, I was able to go to my first professional hockey game. It was really fun to watch them get into fights and hit each other. It reminds me of soccer, except more violent.
Spencer got the NHL PlayStation game for Christmas from Greg. This was by far his favorite present. He plays it all of the time. And we often play together. It has been fun to become familiar with the sport and it's rules. We are officially hockey fans. More specifically, we are forever Sabre's fans.
Here are some pictures of the ring and of the players warming up.
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Our New Sport
Posted by Beej at 10:22 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I've never been to a hockey game. USU's team was pretty good, but while I was going to school you had to drive to Ogden to watch them; I never did. I've heard the games are awesome.
About the TV shows: One Tree Hill and Gossip Girl are both very soap-opera-ey, where they all date each other, etc. I've never seen Lost or 24 (Dad was into 24 for a while, I think), and Pete loves Heroes, which I watch on and off with him.
Hey, did you get my Christmas card? I'm just wondering if I have you address right, so I can send you something for your birthday that will be late, of course.
Oh, I love hockey games so much. Mainly because of the fights. And all the fun stuff they have the crowds do. I'm more into crowd stuff, if you couldn't tell from my post about the BYU game I went to in October!!
Post a Comment