Friday, January 25, 2008

Lincoln Memorial

We kinda snuck out of town for this trip and didn't really tell anyone. Then, when we were there we sent phone pictures to our families and made phone calls. It was funny to hear their reactions.

This is Spencer at the World War II Memorial. He is sitting in between the Idaho and the Utah sections because those are the places that he has lived. He's closer to the Idaho part because we are both Idahoans at heart. We ain't no utah marmons.

This is the outside of the Lincoln Memorial. The last time that I was in DC, both the Lincoln and the Washington monuments were under construction, so they had scaffolding all over them and didn't look as nice. So it was good to see them without the other stuff. And did I mention that it was cold?
Here is Abe in his chair. Spencer and I had a long discussion on how the designers of the monuments try to make these men look like gods or heroes or something. The style is very Greek. I find it interesting. Spencer thinks that it was designed to invoke patriotism and form unity in our young country.
Here is another picture. I thought that it was interesting to notice that Lincoln's hands are making the sign language letters "A" (left hand) and "L" (right hand). I wonder if this was intentional... for Abraham Lincoln...AL...??

This is the Gettysburg address on one of the walls inside the memorial.


It really is a huge statue.

And here's Spencer with Lincoln. He was really excited to see this memorial.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

i would never have noticed his hands. how cool.

Kar said...

Wow, I wonder if that was intentional - with the sign language on the hands?? We should look it up.