Friday, July 11, 2008

Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York...marked multiple times.

Today we drove from Cleveland, Ohio through Pennsylvania, and arrived in Orchard Park, New York. It was only a three hour drive, but Brady still had a hard time handling it. He was fine the first two days, but after that, he just couldn't cope. Poor kiddo. He's got some kind of anxiety.

As we were driving, I made more phone calls. It turns out that we wouldn't be able to have our furniture and things delivered until Monday. Also, we wouldn't be able to have internet access until Monday, either. So we would be camping out for the weekend.

We brought sleeping bags and blankets with us. But we had to go to Wal-Mart to get towels and pillows. Then we opened an account with Blockbuster and rented movies to keep us occupied for the weekend.

After that, we walked around our new place. We just love it! It is so small town and cute. I don't know how it has managed to stay so small town. It has the cutest old buildings and houses. It is really cozy.

The best part is that we live right in the middle of a park and in front of a lake. It is awesome!! I just love walking around the lake. There are ducks and geese and rabbits and squirrels. The lake is in front of us. The park with grass and baseball fields is to the right of us. A golf course is to the left of us. And a forrest is behind us. It is awesome! I did good!! It is so cute and quaint. The only bad part is that it is so small town that everything closes really early.

We went for a long walk and just fell in love with the neighborhood. If a house is for sale here, I think we might buy it because we like it here so much. It is just our style. And it makes living in an apartment not so bad. It is strange to live near such a big city but have such nice surroundings. It is like an oasis. I can't get over it.

And everyone in this city has dogs. Seriously. Which is nice because they don't look down their nose at you for having dogs. We have quickly become the community favorite with our beautiful pups. Within the first hour, we had about twenty people just come and talk to us and dote on our dogs.

We found some nice places to eat, and then watched movies on the lap top.

This is the apartment complex that we live in.



This is the Pennsylvania border in drive-by mode. We just wanted to hurry and get there. I did a crappy, crappy job at getting a picture.



Here is the New York state border.



There are a lot of trees in this area. It reminds me of pictures I've seen of the Sacred Grove. Just lots of green, deciduous trees and bushes and vines. This is in drive by, so it doesn't do it justice.



This is Brady's ear our the window in the rear view mirror. When we needed to talk on the phone, we needed the window up higher so we could hear. But Brady needed the window at least cracked. Every single time, just his ear would be out the window and it would flap in the wind. It was awesome!!



This is our exit.



This is a nest on our porch with fresh baby birds.



This is me and the pups outside our apartment. The dogs were really excited to explore. You can see the porch in the background. They are pretty nice. They are a little bit older, like late 70's or early 80's. The basement has wood paneling. It's great! We want to get a beaded doorway for it.



This is Spence by the lake in front of our house. Isn't it pretty?!



This is part of the park. We thought it was cool.



Here I am with the doggies by the lake.



This is the park by the lake again. People are always fishing here. It's like a daily activity. How neat is that?!



Here's the dogs chillin' in the humidity after a long walk.



We are really excited to start our new life here. And we are grateful that the place that I chose has turned out so nice. I did a good job. We could have ended up in the ghetto of south Buffalo. Thank goodness I did my homework.


Best
Bri: The relief of seeing where we were going to live and being thrilled about it. It's pretty perfect for us.
Spence: Finally getting to our destination and knowing that the drive was over.
Mia: Getting to sleep with mom and dad because they didn't have a real bed. So they slept on the floor with us. I love that!
Brady: The long walk rocked!

Worst
Bri: Not having our stuff. Actually, not having internet was even worse. We couldn't mapquest things or find stores or restaurants. I also couldn't update the blog. Our society has changed so much. No one can function without a cell phone or the internet. It's crazy.
Spence: Sleeping or rather not sleeping on the floor.
Mia: Mom was worried because I hadn't pooped in over four days. So when we got here, she bought an enema. Yeah...mom made me poop everything that I had been holding in.
Brady: Mom calling me a freak of nature. Ouch mom. Very ouch.

Favorite part about Buffalo so far
Bri: I love that we live in a park. I knew that was the name of the city, but I didn't know that it was actually a park! It is so cute and a small, New England town. I'm glad that I won't be scared for my life while Spencer is away at camp.
Spence: How green it is. I love the scenery. We live in a small town, and I like the feel of it.
Mia: I like all of the little animals to hunt. I'm gonna get that squirrel...
Brady: All of the trees to pee on. I have a lot of work to do.

When did it hit you that we moved
Bri: As we were driving in New York, almost to Orchard Park. I just all of a sudden looked over at Spencer and thought "whoa."
Spence: After we got here and went grocery shopping for the first time. We drove around the town and I kept saying "Where are we?" It just suddenly hit me. None of the stores or brands were familiar. Topps? What's that?
Mia: What does that mean? Moved?
Brady: What?! We moved?! I thought we were just on a torture trip!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

i'm soooooo glad you made it safely. thanks for keeping us all posted on your trip. hope the moving in goes smoothly and that you love your new place. we miss you!

Becky said...

Glad you made it there safe.

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it safe! Sounds like you guys are in for a big adventure!!

Kar said...

Is that your apartment you're standing in front of??? It looks super duper nice. I need to call you today...