Last Saturday, we went tubing at Soldier Hollow with our friends: Dave & Brook, Dan & Jordyn, and Ditto. It was really hard for us to work out a day when we all could go. We wanted to go the weekend of Spencer's birthday, but it didn't work out. This time we called ahead and made reservations and everything.
That morning was beautiful and sunny. All day long...until about an hour before our scheduled time to go tubing. It suddenly turned into a Utah hurricane. We decided to drive over to Heber anyways to see how the weather was. It was horrible. The rain/snow/sleet was going sideways in the wind. It was really cold and the precipitation was stinging our faces. We thought about just throwing in the towel, but decide that since we were already all there and probably wouldn't get that chance again to go ahead and go for it for a little while.
It was kind of neat because we were the only ones on the hill. So we didn't have to wait in line at all. It has a tow that pulls you in the tube up the hill, so you don't have to walk much. We did a lot of racing. I won twice and Dave won once or twice, but Ditto won the one race that we called the championship (just because it was last). Spencer and I killed in couples racing. It was really fun, in spite of the cold. We only lasted an hour because it was cold and the weather was pretty bad, so we didn't want to drive home on crappy roads.
I think that Spencer and I have bad luck about planning fun things to do and weather. Every time we planned to go camping last summer, it would rain. And when I planned a hike in the fall for work, it snowed. And when we have traveled this winter...awful roads!! Bad luck, I guess.
So here is a picture of our tubing group. Ditto is holding the tube in the back like a trophy for winning the championship run. Our faces are all red from the cold and stinging rain/sleet/snow.
Jordyn, Dan, Dave, Ditto, Spence, Brianna.
Friday, March 7, 2008
Soldier Hollow Tubing
Posted by Beej at 5:04 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Looks like you had fun in spite of the crappy weather. Aren't you glad you followed through
I can't seem to leave my comments as super cool mom the first time so I guess I'm anonymous; then I can be super cool mom
glad you guys survived. the weather here was TERRIBLE and i kept wondering if you were all freezing or blowing away. :)
Dude, there was some kind of weird tubing karma going on. Every single time you have tried to plan this activity, crap hits the fan. I'm sad it was too cold to tube longer. I would love to go do that sometime. How luxurious, to have a rope to tow you up the hill. What a blast.
Dude, do you remember when we did that up near Kelly Canyon? I wish they still had that going-it was so fun!
Post a Comment