Thursday, February 7, 2008

Spokane--Consider it marked

We went to Spokane this week for my interviews at Gonzaga for grad. school. There was so much snow. They hadn't had that much snow in fifty years. This reminded Spence and I of when we went to New York and the same thing happened.

Well, we were driving toward the airport and guess what...we got stuck. We got stuck and managed to get unstuck, only to get stuck again. We did this a few times over.

Here is Spencer pushing in his dress clothes (he had just gone to talk to the people in charge of his graduate program). He slid and fell a few times. I just love dockers, though. I don't know how they didn't get dirty or ruined. They are the best. And by the way, dad, he wore the green sweater you got him and looked really, really good. So thanks!!



Finally we called for AAA roadside assistance. It took them forever to show up. We waited for about 2 hours. And the time was ticking closer and closer to our flight. They were about a block away and called to make sure that it was us. I told him that it was us. He kind of made fun of us and asked if we just needed a pull out or a full tow. I said that we needed a full tow because we would just get stuck again. He kind of laughed and said he would pull around the block. He was pretty rude and grumpy. And then...



HE got STUCK!!! Spencer and I laughed at first, because we figured that it served him right for making fun of us. Then we were like crap, because it was our only chance of getting out of there.



He finally got unstuck, and went around the block. I am assuming he got stuck a few more times, because it took over a half an hour for it to show up again.

In the meantime, all of the Pepsi that Spencer and I had been drinking made us have to pee. I found an old man shoveling his driveway that let me use his bathroom. Spencer didn't have to go until later and we didn't want to bother him again. So...

Spencer took a little walk.



And marked his territory. Yep, consider Spokane marked by Spencer Larry Haws.



Still going...



And going...



In his professional clothes and everything! It was hilarious. I assured him that no police officers would be out and about on that day with the weather and if they were, they would be at car accidents.

Obviously, we missed our flight. And we had to pay penalty fees to get on the flight the next morning. We got a hotel there by the airport. And ate dinner. And returned the stupid Mazda 3 that had no snow tires. And passed out. It had been a long, rough day.

We joked that after all of the money that we had spent to go and interview that I had better get in, otherwise it would be a cruel joke by God. Well...guess what...I just found out today that I did not get in. After all of that. I guess that I shouldn't feel too badly because they did give me the honor of interviewing. And they were only going to take 7 out of 20. But I think that I would almost had rather not gotten my hopes up or spent all of that money just to be so desperately disappointed. It just doesn't seem worth it now. I just don't know what to do next. I had my heart set on this. And I have been waiting for so long to do this. And now I'm scared that I will fail everywhere that I apply. Maybe we'll just have to focus on Spencer's school right now. Anyways, it's still a funny story. Maybe someday I'll laugh and actually mean it...
My dogs have been a comfort to me today. Even little Boo was crying with me.

4 comments:

Kar said...

Beads, again, I'm so sorry you didn't get in. I'm sure every other darn grad school in the nation would accept you in a heartbeat. You are the smartest girl I know. Don't give up.

Jenny said...

karlenn is right. you're amazing. i'm soooo sorry you didn't get in.

Nat said...

Beej-I'm so sorry you didn't get in. But that just means there's something better out there for you and Spence. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hey Beej, I'm sorry Spokane didn't work out. Don't quit your dreams; be persistant because I know you have what it takes.