Monday, May 11, 2009

Drive to Detroit

Every year we go on a trip to watch baseball games at all of the different stadiums. This year we did it over Easter weekend.

We left on a Friday. Spencer had to work that morning. While he was at work, I took the dogs to Petsmart Hotel to stay for the weekend. At Petsmart there was a crazy dog in front of us. He was freaking out and biting his owners and they had to sedate him to get him into his kennel. While he was panicking, he ran against the glass door and made the door cut off the tip of my pinkie toe. It was a whole centimeter that got cut off of my toe. It bled everywhere and hurt horribly.

We finally started our trip by driving to Detroit through Canada. We drove right through Mindy's mission. I tried to do a drive by picture, but it didn't work very well.



This is a picture of Detroit from Canada.




This is the border into Michigan. We got stuck at the stupid customs. We chose a bad line.




This is the GM Renaissance Center. This is where we stayed for the night. We knew that Detroit was dangerous and we stayed at the nicest hotel in downtown Detroit to feel safer.



We stayed on the 60th floor. The hotel was right on the river. From our room we had a good view of the river and Casino on the Canadian side.

We went to a restaurant inside the Renaissance Center called 42 degrees. It was right on the river and had a beautiful view. It had the most yummy bread in the world. I kept thinking about how much my mom would love it. One of the breads had pomegranate in it. Spencer had a t-bone steak, he said it was the best t-bone he had ever had.



All day long I had been a little itchy. After dinner, the itching got out of control. I had a massive allergic reaction on my skin and was broken out into welts. I am allergic to some kinds of laundry detergent, and Tide quit making the scent that I'm not allergic to, so I had to try a new one. It was definitely unsuccessful. I took a ton of Benedryl and took a bath and covered myself in calamine lotion.

We watched HBO and ordered pizza from Hungry Howie's later that night. Hungry Howie's is the best pizza in the world. I fell in love with it in Arizona. We were so excited that they had it in Detroit, so we got it. Spencer had to go clear down to the lobby to get it. The pizza guy was completely drunk and forgot the soda that we had ordered. On his way back, some thugs tried to get some of our pizza.

While he was getting the pizza, I stayed in the hotel room, itching. I heard a loud pounding on the door and yelling to come out. I started freaking out. So I poked my head out and there were ten policemen in the hall. They were banging on the door next door and didn't need me. So I closed the door and watched out of the peep hole. They broke into the room next door and took out a bunch of guys in hand cuffs at gun point. They walked past Spencer as he was coming back to the room.

When Spencer went to get ice and soda from the machine, he saw a skanky girl locked out of another room. We now realized how completely ghetto Detroit truly was. Even at the nicest hotel, it was dangerous and full of thugs.

We played an Italian card game called Scopa. And slept in the most comfortable bed. It had been a rough day for me. I was still itching like crazy and my baby toe was still throbbing.

2 comments:

Kar said...

Oh my gosh, I cannot believe a whole centimeter of... toe... got chopped off, essentially. How horrible. And how crazy that it was still thugsville, even in the nicest hotel. How cool you stayed on the sixtieth floor, though. And Pomegranate bread? Holy cow, that sounds good.

Nat said...

So, should we start calling you "pinky"? I can't believe that! And ugh, I'm never going to Detroit! Ever! 60th floor, though-that would be cool.