Thursday, August 26, 2010

Kirtland, July 2009

When my mom was visiting last year, we drove to Kirtland, Ohio. We got to see the Amish! It was really, really neat. We ate at Mary Yoder's Amish Kitchen and I bought a recipe book.


This sign was by the street.

And then the buggies flew by! They go so flippin' fast! Isn't my mom cute?


They seriously book it! I decided that I should become an Amish horse trainer. It looked like a blast! But I swear those buggies almost fall over.







Some of the old houses from the early church years are still standing near the Kirtland temple. I think that this was Joseph Smith's house when they lived there.



This is the Kirtland temple. It functioned more as a church and community center as well as a temple. It is very interesting. I love the story about how the spirit was so strong that it looked like it was on fire.



There really isn't much of a spiritual feeling there anymore. It kinda made me sad. The guide was a missionary for the reorganized church, which is now called the Community of Christ, didn't understand when we asked her if they did sacred temple ordinances there. She just didn't get it. It made me sad that people don't have the peace and knowledge that we are so blessed to have.



Me and my mom decided that this was definitely not worth the drive. Although, it was worth seeing the Amish fly down the road at top speed. That was neat. We also got to eat at Steak n' Shake in Erie. Yum!
I might add some more pictures later so you can see what it looks like inside.

1 comments:

Kar said...

Everything is so lush there - green and beautiful. I find the Amish so fascinating...