We had a very hard day the day before Thanksgiving. After delivering four puppies, Mia didn't spontaneously give birth to any more. So we went in to the see the vet. At first, he thought that maybe she was only going to have four and she was done. But then, we did an x-ray... It showed that she had SEVEN left inside of her. We worked very hard all day long. We were able to get four more delivered. Then we went to the emergency vet. We tried to give Mia more drugs to make her deliver the rest, but we had to do a c-section. I helped during the surgery. Mia required a lot of drugs to get her sedated enough. The doctor got the three puppies out. There were two girls and one boy. We worked tirelessly on the puppies. It almost looked like two of them would make it. We did lots of CPR and tried to get them to breathe on their own. After a few hours, we had to give up. The puppies had been out of their placenta's inside Mia and they had been without oxygen for too long. We lost those three. They were beautiful. One girl was the runt. The boy was the biggest of all of our puppies. And we lost one more girl. I wrapped them up in a blanket and kissed them goodbye. We left heartbroken. I can only hope that there is something in God's plan that will allow us the chance to be together with Brady, Mia, and those puppies again. I had the hardest time just letting go. They looked just like the other puppies. They were so pink and looked like they were just sleeping. I can only hope and pray that they are in a better place. It only seems fair. Dogs are so pure-hearted, they deserve the celestial kingdom. Every single one of them.
But with all of the tragedy, we are so very grateful that Mia is okay. And we are thankful for our eight, healthy, beautiful puppies. We have 6 girls and 2 boys. Mia is doing a wonderful job as a mother. I've been at her side almost constantly. I'm just so proud of her. I haven't slept much... I just can't. I worry about them and I couldn't bear to lose another one. Brady is doing well. He has been so patient about it all, and his lack of attention. He keeps a watchful eye on the puppies, but maintains his distance. I am so grateful for my little family, though most of them are animals. They just mean a lot to me.
I am also grateful for the support from his family and from my family. I had more phone calls that day than I've ever had before. Thank you. I'm sorry I didn't answer most of the time because I was working with the puppies, but thank you for showing that you care. I know that they are just dogs and I probably shouldn't care so much...but I do. I can't help it. It's who I am. So thank you for loving me for who I am. I love you all so much.
I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We had a delicious feast, thanks to the efforts of Jenny, Mindy, and Joyce. Thank you. I'm sorry that I couldn't contribute. And thanks for letting the puppies and Mia come. Sorry about the floor, John and Jenny. To my family, we missed you dearly. I wish that I could have run with you in the mini-marathon and played fun games. But we'll be together again soon. And Mikey and Warren and Becky and Kenna, you were greatly missed. I hope to see you soon, and Mikey we are thinking of you and praying for you. You would have loved how Bently tattled on anyone who said a swear word and how Mindy got teased for dropping a puppy. You would have laughed at all of Jenny's kids opening her birthday presents without her. We had a good time, but the family just wasn't complete without two of the kids and their family. I hope that we get to all be together again sometime...
And to everyone...








2 comments:
Oh, Beads, I just love you so much! Again, I'm so sorry for the loss of the three, but I'm extremely glad that Mia is alive and that you have the eight that you had counted on. Nat said she might come up and see you and the pups tonight - I'm sooo jealous. Did you find someone to watch the pups while you went to work today? I miss you a ton. We played Bitter Nertz last night, and one of Lex's friends was over and playing it with us, and we all told stories about our Bitter Nertz Queen - how we once secretly put, like, 25 extra cards in your "13 pile" and you STILL beat all of us! I'll call you later on tonight. Kissy, kissy! Keep your head up. As that cartoon says, "All Dogs Go to Heaven"!!!
So sorry to hear about your puppies! They are in a better place I know. I love dogs. We have a crazy dog. Sometimes we call him PSYCHO SID! But enjoy your puppies!
Post a Comment