Last Wednesday, Spencer and I both had the night off. So Spencer asked me to go on an official date. He planned the whole evening and even brought me roses! Aren't they gorgeous!?!
He picked me up at the door with my favorite roses (yellow with pink tips) in hand and took me out to dinner at a delicious pizzaria called Settebello. He opened all of my doors and it even felt a little awkward, as though we were on a first date...isn't that funny?!
Settebello is an authentic Italian pizzeria. It specializes in the Vera Pizza Napoletana (VPN). This is a style of pizza making that requires that the dough is made from specific raw ingredients, worked with the hands, never a rolling pin, and that it be cooked directly on the surface of a bell-shaped pizza oven that is fueled solely by wood. The oven temperature is about 900 degrees Fahrenheit. It also requires specific types of tomatoes and fresh milk or buffalo milk mozzarella (Spencer's favorite part is the buffalo mozzarella). We got two pizzas, the Margherita and the Settebello. I love the pine-nuts and buffalo mozzarella. The crust of the pizza is very thin and it takes seconds in the hot oven for the pizza to be done. It is very good. And it's fun because it doesn't come cut, you rip it into pieces with your hands and then fold it over on itself to eat it. Spencer can't get enough. It made him homesick.
While we were at the restaurant, we played Italian card games called Scopa and Briscola. I don't know how I do it, but I almost always win against Spencer, which of course makes him angry and frustrated, which I find adorable.... Settebello is like the Joker of American cards, it's the best card you can get and helps you win. It is the seven of coins (the top card in the above picture). That's what the restaurant is named after. It was really cute for us to play the game at the restaurant. All around the restaurant was picture frames with different versions of the face cards on display. It was very interesting. Of course our favorite ones were the Sicily ones...
After dinner, we got some gelato, which is an Italian dessert that is kind-of like icecream, but different. It is more like a slush than a cream. I don't know... but it is so delicious. I especially like the fruit flavors. It looks different, but I recomment it to everyone.
This date was a blast! Plus, it fulfilled one of Spencer's assignments for a cultural event. Even though the motive was partly school-related, I was still grateful to have my sweetheart take me out and take care of me. It was so nice to just take my mind off of everything going on and just enjoy being with my honey. He still gives me butterflies. Thank you Spencer for such a wonderful evening... heaven knows that we both needed it. I love you!






2 comments:
That is so great that you guys take the time to go on fun dates. Keep it up! We need to do a lot better. As soon as our baby-sitter (a.k.a. Mom) gets back, then we'll get back on track! Next time I'm in Salt Lake/Provo, I need you to take me to Settebello. It's making my mouth water sooo badly to see those pizzas. Yum. You say you don't know how you beat Spencer at cards - it's just one of your many talents. You whip everyone in any kind of card game imaginable. Your brian is like a freakin' computer. You need to play Wacky Sixes when you come up next with Nat, Pete, Ben, me, and Spence. It's like a fairer version of Bitter Nertz.
I just said your "brian" is like a freakin' computer - I meant "brain." My bad. Yes, I was an English teacher...
Post a Comment