This year, I got a record number of texts wishing me a "Happy St. Patrick's Day." It was wonderful! Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I think that I owe it all to my blog posts for last year's St. Patrick's Day.
I love St. Patrick's Day. It is a random, fun holiday that you don't have to feel obligated to spend with relatives or buy people presents. And for most people, it's an excuse to get completely drunk. Mostly, I like it because the whole thing is pretty silly. I have no idea where these random traditions came from, but I think that they are funny.
Last year, was a lot of fun because we got to spend it with our friends playing poker and eating yummy food made by Dan and Jorden. This year was a little less eventful. We miss you guys!!
In Buffalo, there is a huge Irish population. So it is one of the cities that really, and I mean really celebrates St. Patty's. They celebrate it the weekend before so they can get drunk beyond reason. It starts on Saturday night with a small parade, and then everyone gathers downtown at 7 or 8 in the morning to start drinking and watch the big parade. I guess that it is a lot of fun. I wanted to go to the parade, but I didn't know that it would be on the Sunday before. I thought that it would be on the actual holiday. So I had to work.
I took care of a lot of drunk people at the hospital that Sunday. A lot of drunk people that did stupid things like getting in fights, jumping off tables, and driving.
So, on St. Patrick's Day, which was a Tuesday, we went to a real Irish restaurant. It's called JP Fitzgerald's in Hamburg. Spencer had the famous Buffalo beef on 'weck, with wings, and celery/blue cheese. I had the traditional corned beef, cabbage, red potatoes, and rye bread. It was really good. It was crazy and there were a million people there. I guess they made tons of corned beef for the holiday because it is the best place to get it in the area. It was really good. I like the ceiling because it was green tin with clover designs. There was also gnomes all over for normal decor and the extra green tinsel and St. Patrick's decorations.
Here is a picture. This was a drive by. Aren't I good?!
Sunday, March 22, 2009
St. Patrick's Day
I guess that Hale is of Irish origin, so I have some Irish blood in me. Maybe that's why I like it. Also, it runs in my family to love random holidays. My sister Alexis and I both share a love for random, silly holidays like Talk Like a Pirate Day, Magic Circles Day, Festival of Extraterrestrial Abductions, Increase Your Psychic Powers Day, Look Up at the Sky Day, Wiggle Your Toes Day, Ask A Stupid Question Day, World Sauntering Day, National Handwriting Day, etc. etc. There really are a ton of them, and they crack me up.
So Happy St. Patrick's to everyone!! And Happy National Goof-off Day!! (that's today)
Posted by Beej at 9:59 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You are so cute. I love ya. Cool that the ceiling was green tin with shamrocks on it. And the food sounds really, really yummy. Maybe next year you can go to the parade.
max has been fearing/looing forward to st. patrick's day for a long time. he was worried about not wearing green, or others not wearing green, and all the rules of pinching, etc. i'm happy to report that we made it through the day w/out incident. :)
World Sauntering Day? Where do you FIND these? St. Patty's is a really fun holiday; when I was preggo with Brock I kept wanting him to be born on the 17th-it would have been so cool.
Hey, the other day Jake looked at the clock and was like, "It's...11:11." It struck him as weird that the hour and the minutes could be the same. I almost called you right then, but then realized it would have been 1:11 for you.
Post a Comment