Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Beauty School?

Since we've been married, Spencer and I have talked about having me cut his hair instead of going to Super Cuts. He doesn't have enough time to go get his hair cut as often as he would like. And his main issue is just his neck hair and the sides of his hair.

Shortly after we got married, I began to shave his neck hair with his electric razor. I did a pretty good job at this. So I started to feel more confident in the idea that maybe I could cut Spencer's hair. Last fall, I bought a razor that has guides and instructions on how to cut hair. I was really excited about it. Spencer on the other hand was very hesitant.

Now I can't blame him for being scared. After all, the only thing that I have ever used an electric razor on is a horse. I am awesome at a full body clipping and show clipping and touch ups for horses. People, however, I have never attempted.

So after a few months, Spencer decided to let me try. It was in January when he wasn't going to school yet and wasn't working. I guess that he figured that if I messed up, at least no one would see it.

Here is a picture of my kit.



I cut Spencer's hair for the first time at the beginning of January. It started out really well. It looked really good on the sides. Then I did the top....yeah...I cut it way too short. I also really messed up around the ears. It was a disaster. I felt really bad. Spencer was really sweet about it and didn't get mad at me. At least his hair grows fast.

Here is a picture of the bathroom after. Spencer wouldn't let me get a picture of him.



About a month later, Spencer asked me to try cutting his hair again. I was like "Are you serous?! You really want me to try it again after last time?!" He said yes, just not to cut the top at all because it doesn't need it and to not go so crazy around the ears. I said "Okay..."
It turned out awesome!! I did a great job. I was really proud of myself. I was super nervous the whole time that I did it, but it turned out good. I never thought that I would be the type to cut her husband's hair, but I think that I'll be alright.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

i like your kit. the different colored guards are really nice. ours are all black, so i have to hunt for the size we want.

good luck!

Nat said...

Our size things (didn't know they were called "guards") are also all black. I used to cut Pete's, but he has a weird cowlick on the side in the front, so I always end up cutting his sides unevenly. But the boys I always buzz, and I've gotten kinda good at it. Practice makes perfect!

Kar said...

Oh, I agree with Jenny. It would be nice to have the different guard sizes color-coded. I cut Dylan's hair, and it took me a couple of times to figure it out, but now I've got it down! He just whines the whole time about all the hair itching him when it falls on his shoulders. Such a whiney-whinester. Cool that you tried it and are getting better at it. It saves a buttload of money.

Liz said...

Good job! I'm so proud of you. :) Dustin's mom always cut his hair and I told him that I wasn't going to learn how to do it, but then it started to get really old driving 45 mins. to his parents for a hair cut. Finally I learned and I'm glad I did. Your kit is way nicer than ours. I may just need to go buy another one.

Beej said...

I just noticed that there is a knife in the picture. Just so you all know, this is not part of the hair cutting process...