Thursday, March 26, 2009

Ten Years

Spencer and I have been best friends for about ten years now. I thought that I should do a little post about that. I'm going to warn you all now that it may be a little cheesy.

Spencer and I met when we were sophomores at Idaho Falls High School. I can still remember the first time that I saw him. I was sitting in my PE class and he came in to meet a girl that he was dating. The moment that I saw him, something inside of me jumped. It was like my soul recognized him or something and knew that we were supposed to be together. I couldn't take my eyes off of him and I couldn't figure out why my heart was racing. I felt an immediate connection to him that I couldn't explain.

For the next few months I just kind of watched him and we didn't really talk. But I noticed things about him. He was very kind, sincere, and thoughtful to everyone regardless of what clique they belonged to. He was compassionate and sweet. He was a gentleman to girls. I admired him and who he was.

Our friendship really developed when we took zoology together from Mr. DeAngelis. Something about us just clicked. We were so compatible and we fit together like a puzzle. We fell so easily into our friendship. We were always lab partners for dissecting. He drew the pictures and I cut the species. We were both dating other people who didn't treat us very well, and we supported each other through it. We became best friends. And we swore to each other that no matter what happened that we would stay best friends forever.
And that's what we did. Even when we were thousands of miles apart, we stayed best friends. We are still best friends today. It is so nice to be married to my best friend and to live with him. We have so much fun together and it is just so comfortable to be with him. I love him more than anything. I'm so grateful that it worked out for us. Although, I firmly believe that he and I were meant to be together. I honestly think that we couldn't have ended up with anyone else. We have had to overcome so much to be together and I just know that it was meant to be. I believe that even if we hadn't been born so close together that we would have found each other anyways. We are soul mates.
Here is a picture of our high school.
This is Mr. DeAngelis. His class brought us together. He was an awesome teacher. He was very passionate about what he taught and always got excited about it. Spencer and I would help each other out by taking notes while the other one slept. We watched out for each other.
Our mascot was the tiger. We had a lot of school spirit and pride. In fact, our rivalry with Skyline was ranked the fourth biggest high school rivalries in the nation by Sports Illustrated while we were attending.
This song by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat reminds me of me and Spence. It even refers to the time when he was across the ocean in Italy. While he was there we dreamt of each other and wrote often.
Do you hear me,
I'm talking to you
Across the water across the deep blue ocean
Under the open sky, oh my, baby I'm trying
Boy I hear you in my dreams
I feel your whisper across the sea
I keep you with me in my heart
You make it easier when life gets hard
I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend
Lucky to have been where I have been
Lucky to be coming home again
Ooohh ooooh oooh oooh ooh ooh
They don't know how long it takes
Waiting for a love like this
Every time we say goodbye
I wish we had one more kiss
I'll wait for you I promise you, I will
I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend
Lucky to have been where I have been
Lucky to be coming home again
Lucky we're in love every way
Lucky to have stayed where we have stayed
Lucky to be coming home someday
And so I'm sailing through the sea
To an island where we'll meet
You'll hear the music fill the air
I'll put a flower in your hair
Though the breezes through trees
Move so pretty you're all I see
As the world keeps spinning round
You hold me right here right now
I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend
Lucky to have been where I have been
Lucky to be coming home again
I'm lucky we're in love every way
Lucky to have stayed where we have stayed
Lucky to be coming home someday
Ooohh ooooh oooh oooh ooh ooh ooh ooh
Ooooh ooooh oooh oooh ooh ooh ooh ooh

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think that this blog is cheesy, I think it is so sweet and tender. Always treat each other with respect and appreciate the good things that you each offer to each other. Throw out the selfish immatuities, and you will be happy and in love always.

Nat said...

What a nice post! And I love that song. You and Spencer are a good fit.

Kar said...

I love all the stories from when you were friends in high school. I feel that Ben and I were meant to be together, too. Before we even met, I had that feeling like I missed him. It was very palpable. And I had a dream about him before we even met. I should blog about it sometime. Anyways, Spencer is the Bomb Dot Com, and I'm so glad you two got married. He is a fantastic brother-in-law.

Jenny said...

i love that song!
thanks for sharing some memories of you and spencer. :)